dinah34 Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I know, I know...I am super late at this.  But, better late then never.  I can't remember what days we did things anymore, but this is all in the right order.

I wanted to go to Bath, but it was very expensive to stay right in Bath so we spent two nights in Newport, Wales.  I really liked Wales and wish that we had got to see more of it.

We stayed at a Premier Inn.  It had a Beefeater Restaurant (pub?) attached to it.

It was at the Beefeater that I had this meal which was awesome! It was a vegetable risotto with grilled chicken. Note the Whole Red Pepper cut in half and grilled.  It was so good I had it twice.
This is what Husband had.  Some kind of Steak And Ale Pie with Peas, Chips, and Gravy.  Typical English Fare.
Here we are in Bath.  They were having some kind of exhibition with Pigs and there were Pigs like this everywhere you turned. They were all decorated differently and popped up all over.
We spent a good 2 hours in the Roman Baths Museum. It was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

I love this shot because it shows so much history in one snap. you can see the Roman Baths right at the bottom, then the medieval building just above, and the modern building with the window that opens.  Also Bath Abbey is in the background.
This is the square just outside of the Roman Bath Museum.  The people on the other side of the wall are in the Museum.  There were wonderful musicians that would come and play for half an hour and then trade off.  Bath definitely had a very sophisticated and artsy feel to it.
The Royal Crescent, which we had learned was built as private homes for the rich and were mostly rented out for individuals wanting to take part in the Waters.  There was a small museum with very knowledgeable staff.  It's rumored that Nicholas Cage owns one of the apartments.
.
This is a Weir.  I had never seen a Weir before and was not expecting to turn the corner and look over the bridge and see this.  I think I may have gotten a little excited and started shrieking at Husband to come look at this most beautiful and wonderful thing in the water.  He was not all that impressed.  I guess weirs are fairly common in England.  Read about Weirs here.

Here we are the next day at Abbergaveny Castle in Wales.  We mainly picked this castle to visit because it was free, but I'm so glad we choose to do something out of the way because it was gorgeous in Abergavenny.  The sky was so blue and it was such a nice day. 
The castle is in disrepair, but that did not detract from the history of the location.  We got the impression that the castle had been sacked and burned numerous times over the years.

In Wales all the signs were bilingual:  in English and Welsh.  I quite liked this sign.
This is the building that houses the present day museum.  I just loved how ivy and the flowers were growing up the side of the building.  Everything looked so organic.

Here we are back in England.  This is a pub on the way to the Lake District.  The sky was Grey, but it wasn't rainy. 

This is the back side of the pub.  There was a little brook that ran right behind the building.  Another beautiful, lush, green snapshot.

After lunch at the Pub we headed on up to Windemere, the first lake in the Lake District.  Another gorgeous spot in Northern England. 

Andrew hanging out at the Pier.  He desperately wanted Ice Cream at this point and did not want me to be taking pictures..  lol
The day before we left we went to Bowland Wild Boar Park.  It was very kid oriented and the animals seemed quite happy in large enclosures.  There were baby chicks that Andrew got to hold and stroke.  (In true English fashion they called it Chick Stroking)  He was having a great time until the baby chick pooped on him.  That didn't go over well.

Anyways, so that is the gist of our trip.  We all had a marvelous time and can't wait to go back.  It was a great idea having Husband and Andrew go ahead of me so they had a longer time with the ILs.  I quite enjoyed visiting all the different attractions.

Next time I would like to make it to France or somewhere on the Mainland.  And maybe visiting London.

Cheers!

1 comments:

Irene said...

So Jealous. I love Bath. Looks like you had an awesome time!