dinah34 Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I love to crochet and I love to make things out of nothing.  I love to wrap the thread around my fingers and I love to feel the hook between my thumb and index finger.  I love to watch my project take shape.  There is so much TO love about handcrafting.

But, there is also so much NOT to love.

I can't stand making two of things.  2 slippers.  2 mittens.  2 booties.  Gah.  The second one never works as good as the first one did.  Or the first one is a schmozzle and the second one looks great.  By the time I'm on to the 2nd item i've practically lost interest and I'm already thinking of what I'm going to make next.  It's hard to stay motivated.

I hate weaving in ends.    I'm getting better at it, especially since I discovered weaving in ends with a needle rather then trying to use the crochet hook to weave which is a pain in the ass.

I hate realizing that you've made a mistake on the 3rd round when you're 20 rounds in.  I know the right thing to do is unravel your project and start over...but 92% of the time I can't do it.  I just can't unravel all that work and start over.

I hate trying to figure out how much yarn to buy or trying to decide if you have enough yarn to make a project.  Most of the time I can never estimate correctly or I will just throw caution to the wind and jump right in and then about halfway through I start to get that feeling that I won't have enough thread and then worrying through the whole project about the amount yarn.  Sometimes I'm right and I run out.  Sometimes though I'm completely wrong and end up with yarn leftover.  Sometimes I try to ration the yarn and will make my tension tighter or drop the odd stitch or start doing HDC instead of DC or whatever.  It's a strange game I play.

What I really hate though is not having enough time to crochet everything that I want to and having to stop crocheting to go to work.  lol.

What do you hate about crochet?  Or if you don't crochet, what do you hate about your craft?

0 comments: