Winnipeg Transit has had this ad campaign going on forever and a decade now. It's called Busology and is 14 cartoons about bus ridership. This is their explanation of the ad campaign:
A humorous look at public transit! Mounds of bags in the aisle, the symphony of heavy metal music, passengers not moving to the back of the bus and the gentle aroma of food and beverages – these are the reasons for Busology. Busology provides a good natured, humorous look at common situations that can make our public transit system unpleasant for travelers. It’s hard to establish enforceable rules for many of these situations, because most really come down to a matter of common courtesy. We sincerely hope you enjoy the Busology and that it results in a more pleasant ride for you and all passengers.
I've looked at these ads for years now and while I think they are lame I've never really paid much attention to them. Except for this one. This one really gets on my nerves everytime I see it. In fact I can't believe that people haven't complained and had it removed.
Some people make an obstacle course out of the aisle with strollers, and packages. Please keep your belongings out of the way of other passengers.
It's the stroller part that makes me irate. I've been a bus rider with a child in a stroller before. There's NOWHERE to put a stroller. The aisles aren't wide enough. The old buses which aren't even accesible with a stroller and the aisles are even more narrower then the new buses. People won't give up the priority seating, they look at you and glare. It doesn't matter what size your stroller is too. Big or small none of them fit. Even if you fold them up they can't fit in the seat with you on the ground. & fuck, you've got to get to daycare or get home from daycare. What do they expect parents/caregivers to do? Stay at home? If I could afford it I would not be taking the crappy bus (& actually not bus--but 5 buses...that's right if I have to do the daycare pick up it takes me 5 buses to get from work to daycare and then back home--5 buses) I would be driving in my car. Gah.
1 comments:
I think you need to expend some of that energy in writing a letter to the newspaper to let them know just how "humourous" you find the stroller ad and why you feel it's inappropriate. I bet you'd be surprised by how many other people feel the same way.
I don't know about other cities, but quite a few of the Victoria transit buses now have a luggages spot at the front of the bus for things such as backpacks, suitcases, strollers, etc. It also allows for handicapped people to strap themselves in with their wheelchairs and keeps the aisles free. There are ALWAYS going to be inconsiderate people, but it's up to the transit company to help where they're able...
Just a thought!
Post a Comment