dinah34 Tuesday, August 11, 2009

we've had our dog for 40 days now, and these have been the costs

$199 to adopt from winnipeg humane society (this includes spaying and shots and stuff).
$12 for leash because you assumed the humane society would give you a leash and you can't leave without having the dog on the leash, so you end up buying a leash at the humane society store.
$40 for giant bag of dog food that dog will not eat.
$12 for food and water dish and $20 for dog bed that your child exclaims are the most perfect things ever (it's sad when 2 weeks later dog chews 1 dish up and rips stuffing out of dog bed),
$6 for bag of treats,
$12 for pit stop at McDonalds because your child had to poop and there was no bathrooms at the store.
$16 for bag of dog food that the dog will eat because she hasn't ate anything in 3 days.
$40 for a variety of toys that dog does not play with, but child enjoys on a daily basis.
$99 for obedience training because you realize your calm placid dog turns into a hell hound whilst you are gone to work.
$28 for a bigger bag of dog food that dog eats
$8 for teeth cleaning treat things that are supposed to last for hours and hours and clean teeth at same time. dog consumes in 4 minutes.
$120 for crate because you realize that obedience training is not going to save your wall.
$135 for trip to vet because dog develops bald spots on legs, apparently from the 'hard' surface in the crate because the dog pushes blankets aside (and doesn't have the nice cushy pillow because she ripped stuffing out) and lays on the plastic tray thus causing her fur to thin and fall out, and whilst there you get told that you need heartworm medication as well.

i'm not even adding it up. seriously. the dog has cost more then the kid did in his first 6 months. needless to say we have been dipping into savings.

6 comments:

Jessie said...

wow!!! Holy un-expected expenses... I hate those.

Anonymous said...

I loved the $12 pit stop at McDonalds! :P LOL!

Anonymous said...

LOL. I know what mean about pets coming out to be expensive. Like my cats... having to get them fixed, then the vet added shots, and a second dose of shots. Oh, then the cat toys, treats, litter box, collars, flea remedy solution, etc... LOL.

Sorry to hear the dog is not as well behaved. Your startin' to make him sound like Cujo. ;)

LittleSpots said...

I really, really want to say I told you so but I won't. The first month is always the most expensive, it should be better from now on. Have you found a solution for your crate bedding? I have some old pillows (regular bed pillows) I'd give you if you were a little bit closer (umm, alot closer).
She's worth every penny though right?

SS4BC said...

So my dog chews through EVERYTHING - and I got him a denim pad for his crate that he has yet to chew through. It was relatively inexpensive and he generally enjoys laying on it.

This is generally what it looks like, though the one in the store is slightly different. It is supposed to be "chew resistant" - though I don't suppose anything meant for a dog can be chew-proof, but he hasn't destroyed it yet. He is one of those dogs that destroyed 99% of the toys in pet stores in about 2 minutes. The only ones I trust him with are Nylabones and Kongs. He hasn't destroyed those yet.

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/richmedia/images/cover.gif

SS4BC said...

Oh sorry... the denim crate pad is from Target. It is blue on one side and red on the other. I've seen them at just about every Target I've been to.