dinah34 Friday, March 19, 2010

In an effort to get excited about our upcoming trip to the UK (did I mention that this summer we are going to the UK?) I've started to do some internet research about what we want to do and see while we are there. So much has been happening round these parts I have not really had the time or the inclination to 'get excited' about this trip. But now we are 3 months away, tickets are booked and this time I want to see stuff!

I guess I should go over the deets of the trip because I have not really blogged about this except to announce that we had started to save for a trip to England.

The Timeline

  • Husband & Andrew depart May 26 for Calgary (yes, I know Calgary is further away from England than Winnipeg--this was Husbands ingenious way to find a cheaper international flight, some company named Canadian Affairs flys out of Calgary and they are dead cheap)
  • Husband & Andrew spend May 26 & 27 in Calgary (which might turn into a more costly money saving venture then originally planned because they were going to stay with my aunt that lives in Calgary...but she has decided to move to Winnipeg and might move before they get there...anyone want to house 2 boys for 2 days?)
  • Husband & Andrew depart for Manchester on May 28 (Everyone needs to say a prayer to give Husband strength on an international flight with a 4 year old)
  • Dinah spends 2 glorious weeks on her own at home sans husband and child. Think of everything I'll get done! (This is almost as good as a vacation in Europe)
  • Dinah departs for Gatwick from Winnipeg on June 12 and then fly's to Manchester (Dinah prays that there is not a repeat of her last trip to the UK which involved a snowstorm, cancelled, flights, lost luggage and a nice man named Doug Runchy)
  • Hopefully someone picks Dinah up from the airport in Manch and she doesn't have to try to use English Payphones again.
  • 2 weeks of holiday in Northern England with a possible mini-trip to Belgium.
  • Dinah, Husband, & Andrew depart from Gatwick on June 26 (Say a prayer for the return International Flight with a 4 year old and the hopes that I'll be able to nap)
  • June 28 everything goes back to normal and Dinah returns to work.
The Stuff I Want To See

  • The City York - Google tells me that York is about 1 hours 15 minutes from Husbands parents house. I don't know much about York, just that it was founded by the Romans and later conquered by the Vikings. It is a walled city with a large Gothic cathedral right in the middle of the town. There is also the Jorvik Viking Centre and YorkBoat Tours which I think would all be fun for Andrew. I think York would make a good day trip. Husband lived there for about six months a long time before he met me and I think he also wants to go to reminisce about his bachelor working days.

There's a lot more to post, but it's getting late and inserting pictures is losing it's appeal. So far, I've got 3 days planned....what to do with the other 10ish? Suggestiosn for Northern England are always welcome. :) I'm also planning to visit the Lake District, Blackpool, Chester, and possibly Belgium to visit a friend that is living there. I figure that by the time we leave we will have about 2K for spending money (this includes gas, entertainment and meals). The wonderful thing about visiting family in England is that there is a home base to go back to every night, with tea or lager, a warm bed, and smiles on everyone's faces.

cheers
~dinah

1 comments:

Northern Living Allowance said...

Ooooohhhh! Loved, loved, LOVED Bath!!!! Such a beautiful city. I am so homesick for the UK it's not even funny anymore. I hope you have a wonderful time visiting your friends and family! I'm looking forward to hearing about it - and seeing photos! :)