dinah34 Monday, March 29, 2010

**I guess I should say there's book spoilers going on...so once you figure out what book I read I guess you need to decide if you want to risk spoilage**


That's right! I've completed another book. 23 more to go for 2010! As you can plainly see I am zipping through this New Years Resolution. Hah.

I spent most of last week reading a very deep and political and important financial piece of literature. Oh yes, I am going to be thinking about all the controversial points and themes and blah, blah, blah.

As if.

My literature choice...did not...ahem...cause me to flex my brain all that much.

Confessions of a Shopaholic certainly falls into the realm of fluff. I had heard raves about these books for years. On message boards posters always would exclaim, "You MUST read this book!", "They're good reads" and on and on. I glimpsed the first one in the library the other day and decided to check it out. Because I don't have enough to read or do or make as it is, you know. Anyways, once I started reading I was hooked. Hooked in disbelief. As I turned each page, I wondered why everyone loved the Shopaholic Books so much?

It's an easy read. It's silly. It's nothing you gotta think about. It's maddening how magically wonderful things happen to this ditz that never pays attention to anything. the 15th and 30th richest men in England? Really? TV appearances? Freelance Opportunities every which way she turns? Fixing mistakes so easily? Blargh. I think what really upset me the most is that she digs this huge hole of debt and then quite a few far fetched miraculous events and poof everything is solved. Blargh again. As if. I buy things on credit and then I spend years repaying it. I don't get invited to do guest spots on TV which will clear up all the money owed, instead I learn a lesson, ya'know? Oh yes, and even though I've given up shopping I still don't get to have supper at super duper fancy restaurants and spend the night at posh hotels. Boo on Becky Bloomwood. Boo indeed. This is definitely not the world of Personal Finance confessions that I am used to.

Yesterday, I checked the second book out of the library. I think I'm hooked.

Damn it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. I love the series! :) But you're right, it's completely far fetched.

Just don't watch the movie.

It's horrible.