I have a problem. I have a problem and I think I might be brave enough to finally admit it publicly. Don't worry--it's nothing gross or upsetting.
I crochet items to be gifts and then never gift them to the intended recipient. Sometimes finished objects sit in my stash until I sell them or use them myself. Sometimes I give them to someone else. Or sometimes I just seem to keep them.
That is kind of what happened with this baby blanket round ripple. It was supposed to be for a co-workers brand new baby. But, that baby is over 6 months already. The yarn is not as soft and nice as I was hoping for. My father had bought about a dozen skeins of the pink and blue from a garage sale last year for next to nothing. I remember him being so proud of his find. He brought them over to my house in 3 big Safeway Bags and then looked at me expectantly. From the minute I saw it I knew it wasn't 'good' yarn. I knew it was acryllic and would be scratchy, but I never expected it to feel like it did. I wish that we had touchavision because then you could just touch it and see. It feels like horse hair, rough coarse horse hair.
The bags sat there. They sat there and sat there and sat there. I didn't know what to make with them. The yarn sat there in bags for almost a year. It took up so much space and yet I didn't want to throw it out. Finally I decided to make a baby blanket. I thought if I 'worked' the yarn it would get softer. I can almost convince myself of anything if I really want to. :P
Now that it's finished, I don't want to give it to them. I don't find it to be soft and cuddly and inviting. It looks really nice in the pictures and in real life.
As I see it I have 3 options: Unravel, make what I've made into a rug, or play it up as being an 'outside' blanket great for the park or beach?
Thinking of unraveling it makes me want to cry. I did work on it for weeks and weeks.
I'm not entirely too sure how I would make it into a rug? I might be doing more internet research on this.
I think my best bet is to play it up as an 'outdoor' blanket. Great for picnics, the park, the beach, or the yard? What does everyone think?
1 comments:
It would be a lovely outdoor blanket for a baby!!! Even a floor blanket in the house for when visiting others.
Post a Comment