dinah34 Monday, May 31, 2010

The role and function of ministry personnel requires a great deal from a person.

Since I've begun this journey this is what I have indeed noticed!  It's hard enough working a regular job, I can only imagine the uncertainty and stress that would go along with being a Minister.  Being with people while they are sick, suffering, scared, at their worst would definitely tall a toll on someone.  I wonder if I would have the strength of character to fill such a position?  But, it's not all negative, right?  Week to week you are able to see individuals succeed, witness marriages, relationships, and happy times.  There is always so much to celebrate.  Are you born with strength of character?  Can you learn it?  Can it come slowly to you over the years?

As the church is discerning the outward call and the call of gifts, it might consider the evidence of or potential for the following gifts:

The question, as I see it, is how do I fit into these gifts...

  • Deep spiritual life: Ministry requires a profound sense and experience of the Spirit of God within the individual, ongoing discernment of the Holy, and passion for being part of God’s mission in the world.
 This is a tall order!  Deep Spiritual Life?  How can one self-identify in this way?  Would it not simply be vanity or pride at that point?  It's hard to see things in yourself, that's for sure.  In fact, the more I reflect on this, in a way the less I feel connected to the Spirit and to my path.  Before, it felt like there was signs everywhere nudging me in this direction.  Pointing me towards Ministry, saying, "hey, come this way, this is where you are supposed to be."  Now, it feels like I am grasping at straws and not getting anywhere.  It's not so easy to just say:  Sense & Experience of the Spirit of God, Check!  Discernment of the Holy, Check!  Passion for being part of the mission, Check!


I am a part of God's mission in the world.  I am always taking part in attempting to discern what is Holy.  I am always looking to experience the Spirit.  But, am I able to put how I do this into words?  It's hard.
  • Integrity of self: Authentic ministry is grounded in the integration of the emotional and spiritual self with acquired knowledge and abilities.
Do I have integrity?  Yes, I believe so.  I follow what I think is right.  I'm not afraid to speak my mind when appropriate.  I've read the statement about a dozen times already and to be honest, I don't know what they're getting at?  Are they getting at using everything you know in the right ways?  I'm having a hard time thinking this one through.
  •  Understanding of human behaviour: Pastoral ministry requires a well-developed capacity for active listening. It also requires a psychological and sociological understanding of human dynamics in individuals and groups.
I'd like to think I'm good with people.  At work, people come to tell me their problems & I try to help them fix stuff.  I am a good, impartial listener.  At work I am viewed as being something like Switzerland, I always hear about both sides of scandal & controversy, but remain only a listener (but that is mostly because of where I work and the type of employee I am).  I would say that my understanding of people could definitely be improved with further study, but I think I've got the basics down (for the most part :P ).
  • Scholarship: The ministry of leadership requires an ability to comprehend and teach theological concepts, the traditions of the church, and biblical scholarship, as well as to nurture the faith in others.
 Hands down, I like Academia.  I thoroughly enjoy learning about Religion & Theology.  Do I  have the capacity to teach these concepts and nurture Faith in others?  I think so.  At one time I did contemplate becoming a teacher and I was a Teacher's Assistant for a few years.  I taught special needs kids how to read.   But, sometimes I don't think well on my feet and I feel like I can't get out what I want to say.  I do worry about saying the right things at the right time.
  • Commitment to and longing for justice: The commitment to work prophetically for all is the direct result of a robust faith.
 Definitely.
  • Capacity for critical reflection: The ability to be self-critical, to assess situations appropriately, and to reflect on one’s actions and their effects on others is important. 
Well, I am self-critical to a fault.  I am insanely hard on myself, so this is probably not the best thing for me to get hung up on.

  • Capacity to be a lifelong learner: The openness to admit there is much to be learned and a growing demonstration of the willingness to integrate new ideas, patterns of behaviours, and skills are essential for ministry.
Definitely.  I love learning.
  • Appreciation of administration: Ministry requires respect for, and knowledge of, church polity and the ability to oversee the institutional health and well-being of a congregation or community ministry. Does the individual understand administration to be part of the call?
Now, when I hear the word administration I don't immediately think of what it says there.  I think of mad skillz and managing an office.  I think I could work up to being able to oversee the health and well-being of a congregation.  I would think that comes with experience, non?


    In addition to the above gifts, the potential to develop certain skills is important. Leadership in ministry requires the ability to develop skills in preaching, counselling, outreach, education, leadership, administration, and group dynamics.

    That's a big list-yet another big list! Didn't we cover those things just above?

    This list is not meant to identify the “perfect” person or to provide a shopping list of qualities and skills. Clearly, no one person will ever embody all of these qualities perfectly. Nevertheless, it is a helpful guide in thinking about responding to a call to ministry.

    It is helpful, but it sure is daunting.  After reading everything, I worry that it will be declared that I am not 'ideal' enough because I don't meet all the criteria.  But, then I think that is just me being hyper critical of myself again.

    There is so much to think about. 

    0 comments: