dinah34 Monday, May 24, 2010

Since I posted about our recent Yurting trip many people have asked what exactly a Yurt is.  I'm here to give everyone the skinny, the downlow on Yurts and how wonderful they are.

& heck, I don't feel like thinking up a fancy new way of describing what a Yurt is, so I'll just let Wikipedia do the talking for me...

A yurt is a portable, felt-covered, wood lattice-framed dwelling structure traditionally used by nomads in the steppes of Central Asia. A yurt is more home-like in shape and build, with thicker walls than that of a tent.

Traditional yurts consist of a circular wooden frame carrying a felt cover. The felt is made from the wool of the flocks of sheep that accompany the pastoralists. The timber to make the external structure is not to be found on the treeless steppes, and must be obtained by trade in the valleys below.

Enthusiasts in other countries have taken the visual idea of the yurt—a round, semi-permanent tent—and have adapted it to their cultural needs. Although those structures may be copied to some extent from the originals found in Central Asia, they often have some different features in their design that adapt them to different climate and use.

In the United States and Canada, yurts are made using hi-tech materials. They are highly engineered and built for extreme weather conditions. In addition, erecting one can take days and they are not intended to be moved often. These North American yurts are better named yurt derivations, as they are no longer round felt homes that are easy to mount, dismount and transport

Now that we've go the boring definition out of the way, lets move on to the fun stuff.  Here are some pictures stolen from the internet so you can get an idea of what is out there.

As you can see, they can vary quite a bit.  You can have bathrooms, kitchens, second floors, lofts, the ideas are endless.  The Yurts we stayed in at Camp Morton Provincial Park are really comfort camping.  They about the size of your living room (16 feet in diameter) and have a heater, electricity, a futon, table, 4 chairs, and bunk beds.

I have made a little collage in Picasa with some of our pictures from our last 2 trips.  They are comfy little things.

From my research, a simple Yurt could cost as little as about $6K and a tricked out ones cost around $20K.  I used to think that The Provincial Park put the Yurts up every summer and then took them down for the winter, but after doing quite a bit of reading online, I think they are left there year round.  I wonder how the canvas remains undamaged, but I'm sure the Park has a system.  The Yurts where we stayed are definitely 3 season facilties.  They would do very in the fall and spring.  The little electric heater in them sure packs a punch.  I am definitely feeling a little Yurt crazy after our trip.  It would be wonderful to buy some rural property and instead of putting a cottage/cabin on it put a Yurt there.  Just a simple little Yurt.  :P

Here are some wonderufl websites to check out about Yurts
Pacific Yurts is like Yurt Porn.  Make sure to check out the Photo Gallery
Canadian Company Yurtco.
All sorts of information over at YurtInfo.
WoodlandYurt is a UK company.

Youtube has a few nice videos/slideshows that show the versatility of Yurts and their beauty.  Go to the tube and check out the many other vids.  Tres cool.





Enjoy!  Do some googling and maybe you'll find that a Park/Preserve in your area has Yurts to rent.

0 comments: