
I'm hosting Christmas Eve dinner this year for the first time in my life. It's a big change for my family. We have always had Christmas Eve dinner at My Grandparents. Always. But things are changing. Grandpa passed away a year ago and my Grandma is in her 70's. It's hard for her (even though she won't admit it) and she also cooks SO MUCH that it is TOO MUCH.
I am breaking with tradition and only having finger foods and snacks and appys. *GASP* Don't worry--no one is missing out on Christmas Turkey Dinner....we have that Christmas Day at my Aunt and Uncles. In fact Christmas in my family is a 3 day holiday extravaganza. Dinners and lunches and presents and booze oh my. This is my attempt to make Christmas more low key and relaxed and fun for everyone involved.
But, I need a plan of attack especially because Christmas Eve is exactly 1 month away today. I need a list (mostly because I like lists...) We have several areas that need addressing. We need a menu, We need a cleaning schedule which would also involve more de-cluttering, we need the home improvements to be completed by December 24th schedule and I also need to work on my holiday crafting list (which I have been avoiding doing...but had made a spetacular to do list of gifts to make and have not even looked at it since then).
Tentative Appetizer Menu
Veggies with dip (carrots, celery, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, tomatoes)
Cheese and crackers (variety of cheeses)
Hot Artichoke Dip with Tortillas
Seven Layer Taco Dip
Cheese Fondue with bread
Cold Cuts with Buns
Perogies*
Perishky
Maybe some sausage rolls
Maybe chicken fingers
Deviled Eggs?
Garlic Sausage?
Pickles?
Fruit Tray?
Cleaning Schedule
All the obvious things (sweep, mop, clean up, dust)
All the not so obvious things (THE BASEMENT, all my craft stuff needs to be moved out of the dining room, the bathrooms need a THOROUGH cleaning, & the crap outside in the yard needs to be put away somewhere)
Kitchen Cupboards need to be de-cluttered so everything fits nicely in them
Fridge needs a good & THOROUGH cleaning because I know my family and where they will look
Home Improvements to be done
I dream of having the kitchen drywalled (at least, painted would be like winning the lottery)
Back Door needs to be fixed
Kitchen cupboard needs to be put back on
Living Room needs to be drywalled and painted
Door needs to be put back on to porch
My Fathers junky old van needs to be gone from our parking pad
Crafty things to Make**
Slippers for Andrew
Slippers for Aunty Heather
Slippers for Rylie
Many, Many, Dishcloths
Some kind of blanket or something out of all the granny squares i have crocheted for my parents
I really really want to make felted wreaths but if I do I need to start scouring for wool sweaters stat
I am thinking of make nuts n bolts or granola as well for the gift baskets.
Sigh. I love making lists. :P
I am being very low key this Christmas. I am refusing to get worked up over anything. I am not making ridiculous amounts of gifts so that they will not be appreciated. I am not fretting over what to make. I am just making whatever i feel inspired ot make. I am not exchanging with my cousins. I am not exchanging with my sister and her kids. My list to buy for this year is small. Steve and I aren't exchanging gifts and Andrew is still too little to realize what he's missing out on. I am going to be happy and relaxed and I will enjoy this Christmas. I will.
*Please note that the perogies are my grandmas idea. She has made 'mini' perogies and sent them over already. So I will humour her
**Please note that this list is subject to change at a moments notice. It always does.
1 comments:
Wowza, look at those lists ;) Definitely keeps things organized, and they look great!!
Post a Comment