dinah34 Thursday, October 23, 2008


I Would Die For You - Jann Arden

This beautiful song takes me back to that night standing in Paul's empty apartment, days after he had left his wife and moved in to the tiny space so we could be together.

I had discovered my love for Jann Arden during round 1 of mine and Paul's relationship. I listened to her a lot during those first two and a half years we went out. We parted, he got married to another woman, and I waited. Dunno why, but I did. Probably had to do with self-esteem issues. One year later we were fooling around and then we were suddenly in a relationship again. It was very overwhelming but something that I thought I wanted. For years I thought that.

Anyways...I remember that moment of that night in his empty new apartment, furnished with old car seats and a mattress on the floor. I had that CD playing and we were slow dancing and he held my face in his hands and looked at me for a long time. He didn't say anything until I broke that moment. We stopped dancing and he said, "You know I couldn't hear any of her music without crying when we weren't together."

I know I shouldn't have, but I felt glad. Happy. Vindicated that he had not spent our time apart in a state of bliss. I was pleased that I made such an impact on this man's life. & especially pleased that even a marriage could not keep us apart.

I had so much to learn from that moment on.

3 comments:

kasanika said...

Love this song .. actually now that I think about it, it makes me think of my first summer in the army reserves which was quite hellish. I'm glad it has a better meaning for you.

kasanika said...

You have to see my pic of a park bench plaque .. reminds me of this song. I cried when I first saw it. I'll post it when I get back from work next week.

dinah34 said...

that would be great anne.

although i wouldn't say my memories of the song are really that nice or better.

he never really could enjoy her music and when things got bad between us i used to play her music a lot just so that he would become uncomfortable.