dinah34 Wednesday, October 1, 2008


Today was session 2 of my Portfolio Course. As with the last session I left feeling inspired and driven to do something--anything--to make a change in my life. I need to keep this sense of urgency outside of that course. Among other things we discussed values and value statements. A statement of values is essentially a mission statement as well as a personal philosophy. & while it is easy to say that I have values and strong ideas surrounding what is important to me, it is another thing to identify them as quantifiable and then to put them into words. I find it even harder to put them into words knowing that others and potential employers will be reading these and gaining insight into the depths of, well, me.

but here goes nothing,


I strive to maintain a healthy balance between my work and home life and value the importance of sustaining familial, community, and spiritual responsibilities

I work best when it is work I believe strongly in and provides me with moral fulfillment.

I seek an ethical workplace that recognizes the need for job security, respects diversity, and honors promotion from within by offering staff the opportunity to grow in responsibility, in part by ensuring supportive supervisors participate in information sharing and appropriate guidance.

I am committed to continuous learning and to being part of a harmonious work environment where all involved work effectively together.


& phew that was hard. That was a good hours worth of work to get those 4 statements. I think it is a good start. I'll let it sit for a few days and return to review.

Today I realized I am tired of separating all the parts of Carrie. There's so many boxes I keep. Church, friends, work, family, home, volunteer work. Being computer savvy, being well written (I hope), being spiritual, being crafty--why can't they all go together. Why do I keep them apart and far apart from each other?

Bah, maybe those statements are too righteous.

0 comments: