Months and months ago, back in November I applied for a CR-05 job in another department. It was a posting for positions in Winnipeg & Edmonton and a nice pay raise. You were supposed to indicate which location you were interested in and I checked off Winnipeg & Edmonton. We have always talked about moving to Alberta. I love the landscape, the atmosphere, my aunt lives there, we've got friends there and a new start somewhere has always appealed to both of us. I have applied for a few postings in Alberta: Calgary, Lethbridge, Edmonton, but I've never ever received a call back before.
Wednesday I got a call back. Betty from Edmonton phoned my work (I guess after I had already left for the day) and left a message for me to phone back.
Problem?
I don't know if we want to move right now.
My Dad just died. My Mom is all alone. She has to sell her house and move. All she has left is Me, Husband, and Andrew. My aunt is moving back to Winnpeg and we wouldn't be able to stay with her in the interim until we get sorted. I would have to fly to Edmonton (most likely?) to take the test and probably go back for an interview as well. Our funds are all tied up in this England trip. & what if they want me to start while I am supposed to be on holiday?
Some other thoughts:
- The Public Service is always about Pools. Just because I write the test/interview for this position doesn't mean that it would be the one I end up in. But it would be nice to be in a Pool.
- This whole process could take months, even a year.
- The lure of moving and living in a new province and a new city is still with me
- While the position itself was a term, only 1 year, I think because I am a permanent employee with the Public Service they would have to return me to my original job (or a job?) -- Does that mean I would have to move back to Winnipeg?
- If I decline this opportunity to test/interview will it reflect negatively on me in future job applications?
Thoughts? Any insights are greatly appreciated. I feel lost in this situation.
2 comments:
Hmm! Difficult decision. But sometimes the timing of things is just meant to be, you know? I think you need to definitely call Betty back and get more information from her with respect to the job and all the questions you laid out in your post. Just be honest with her about your situation. There's a good chance she'll let you take the test in Winnipeg if it's available.
If 'term' in gov't works the same there as it does here, you would go back to your permanent position after the one year.
I think this is a wonderful opportunity to try for something that you've talked about. I honestly think you need to at least call her and go with what your heart says; don't overthink this. Don't think about the reasons you "can't" do it (no such thing, remember?) and think about why you can. Follow your heart.
Thats a really tough choice to make right now. I definitely wouldn't make any hasty decisions either way. Get as much info as you can and then you'll be better equipped to decide.
Post a Comment