dinah34 Monday, April 5, 2010

Well, I'm still working on my GINORMOUSLY HUGE cross stitch piece. It has almost been 1 year since I started. I am beginning to think I will be finished when Andrew goes off to University. I keep plugging away, and as long as I don't make mistakes I find it relaxing.

I thought I'd do a review of the cross stitch so far...

This is what it will look like finished...hopefully.
Because parts of it are so abstract I am having a hard time visualizing the piece. As I do more I am starting to appreciate that there is picture in there and it is not just a jumble of colours.

1 Week in.
I got a lot done that first week. Just looks like a jumble of oranges. The finished piece will be about 200 X 275 stitches. At this point I was about 100 stitches done....with only 7 thousand more to go.

2 week shot.
I was really in the zone. I had plans to finish this piece by Christmas because it was supposed to be a wedding present for my friends that were getting married this past October.
Week 4 picture.
It was at about this time that I realized there was no way I was going to finish it in time for Christmas. I figured I'd be done by June. Hah! I think it was around September that I realized there was no way I was going to give this away, especially after putting in thousands of hours of work. (Don't worry about my friends though, I made them 2 round ripple afghans for a wedding present because I felt so guilty about not finishing the cross stitch)

This was taken right before Christmas, so at 7 months in.
As you can see between July an December I didn't make much progress. At this point I was thinking I would be done in 2011, about 2 years after I started. It doesn't look like it but there are about 20 different colors stitched. I spend a lot of time changing threads. If you squint and let your eyes lose focus you can almost see the trees taking shape...
11 month shot
& now this is where I was up to as of last night. I've been so horribly excited because I've moved into THE BLUES. At the top, see there? That's BLUE. Thank goodness, because I was getting quite tired of oranges, browns, and blacks. Hah. This is what I have accomplished in 10 months. Granted I have not worked on it all that much in the last few months. Life really gets in the way.

I can't wait to finish, but mostly I just can't wait for it to start to look like SOMETHING.

1 comments:

Kathy said...

You will finish it! It's a long term project. And it will be worth it in the end.

Hoping my kit comes in the mail today!