dinah34
Monday, January 24, 2011
I know what y'all are thinking. I really do. I'd be thinking the same thing.
I know you're thinking, "How can this girl have any more scraps? All she ever does is de-stash and make things from leftovers." To be honest, I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Where does it all come from? I know a lot of it comes from other people. My grandma, aunts, and all their little Senior Citizen friends have donated their leftover yarn to me over the years. Some of it came from actual projects I have done. Some of it mated with each other and made new yarn. Honestly. Girl Guides honour.
Years ago, I started to make Yo-Yo's with the purpose of making an afghan out of them. I made hundreds of them and then lost interest in the project. I seem to remember not wanting to join them up because I didn't like the joining stitch. They sat there for years until just after Christmas when I found a
new way of joining the yo-yo's on Ravelry (
Oh Ravelry, how I love thee). Basically, instead of joining all the yo-yo's together one after the other, you make them into 4 x 4 blocks. Like this:

I love the idea of making the yo-yo's into 4 X 4 blocks with a nice border instead of just monotonously joining them together one after the other...
I had to edit the pattern quite a bit because it calls for yo-yo's with a 15 stitch circle...but mine only have 12. The first couple of blocks I made are a little wonky...but I've got everything under control now.

I I've made a few in black and 1 block in red. I think it will give a nice variety to the finished piece. I was also thinking of doing a block in a beige or soft yellow.
I love watching the stack of my squares grow. I pile them up and move them around and lay them out flat all in a row and then pile them back up again. They all look so lovely. I've played with colour combinations (like all red yo-yo's), done them in colour rows, made patterns, and enjoyed the pure randomness of the yo-yo's as well.
The only downside to this project is all the ends that need weaving in. There is a lot of stopping and starting in each square. I am definitely not looking forward to that. I wonder if Andrew is old enough to learn how to weave ends in?
0 comments:
Post a Comment