dinah34 Tuesday, March 14, 2006

i have some questions about weight watchers and would really appreciate it if anybody could give me some answers so i know what to expect (sortof).

  • what do you do at these meetings?
  • how long do they last?
  • how does the weigh in work?
  • how does my goal weight get picked?
  • once i've registered do i have to keep going to that same time (cause there's like six different meeting times at this one location)
  • what do i get????

that's about all i can think of. i'm going to take this slow. if i've learned anything from my wonderful and wacky weight loss journey is that when i take things too fast i flounder and give up and gain more weight and end up feeling 10 times more disgusted with myself.

the only thing that's making me not break down and cry about last week is the fact that i am still under my starting weight. phew.

i almost forgot to ask, 'is it wrong to bring the baby to these ww meetings?' i can leave the baby with S but my hopeful plan is to walk to these meetings and i love to take the baby for walks. (the air does him in) obviously if the meeting is 2 hours long i wouldn't bring him, but if it's like half an hour it would be okay, right? or not? someone let me know, i don't want to commit a ww faux pas.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I've had 3 leaders and 3 different groups. My first leader I loved, and then she stopped doing the Wednesday nights, so I had to find another leader because I didn't like the replacement we got. My second leader I thought was great at the beginning until I realized all she talked about at every meeting was how to make a low point alcohol drink, which since I don't drink I could care less. My leader I have now is the BEST yet. At my meeting we (the whole group) share food that we've tried. People bring in packages and labels and we get new ideas on foods we can eat. ( I didn't get this from my other two meetings). Each week there is a new subject to talk about and it is to encourage you for the week and help you along the way. The meetings last about 30 mins. Weighing in...you go to a cubby and stand on the scale. They don't scold you for gaining weight or anything , so don't be afraid if you didn't have a good week. It's between you and the person weighing in. Can you bring the baby? I think yes. I've never heard of any rule saying you can't and my second leader meeting there were two moms that always brought their babies, and it never seemed to be a problem. I'm going to post this, and go back to your blog to see what else you asked.

Anonymous said...

Okay...your goal weight is picked by what your range should be for your height. Then you pick what you would like to be your goal between that range. My husband is 6'4'' and it said he should weight between 170-190 or something close to that. Well he has a large build to him which is totally impossible for him to go that low. He has already lost 70lbs doing WW and he is at 274lbs right now. He looks pretty thin with alot of muscle, but he wants to get to 240. They said that his goal weight of 240 is fine, but he will need a doctors note when he reaches that to be life time. He has a little bit of stomach and that's it, so I can't even image him losing another 100lbs. There isn't 100 to lose. Anyway I'm sure other people have run into that problem too since not everyone is built the same.
You don't have to go to the same time, but you are suppose to weigh in once a week. I like going to the same meeting each week because you gain friendships and you'll find other people there struggling or celebrating with you. I have no social life, and I feel really nerdy saying this, but WW is not only my life, but my social life too. We've started a walking group with my leader, and she gets all of her groups together and we set up times to go walking. It's totally awesome. I meet new people, share recipes, talk about what's going on. I can't really explain how great I think it is. If you follow the plan it will work. Let me know if you have any more questions or want to talk. You can email me if you want. Cottagewayoflife@aol.com

Hope that helps!!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention...make sure your leader works for you. If you don't like your meeting or you don't feel inspired try another meeting..different day or different time. I was motivated with my first leader, not with my replacement, not so much with my second, and my current leader not only inspires and motivates me, but the group does too. You have to figure out what works for you. :)

Anonymous said...

thank so much! that gives me such a clearer understanding of what to expect. i HATE walking into the unknown.

Anonymous said...

what do you do at these meetings?

Weigh in then 30 minute meeting where they discuss the topic of the week. Some questions and answers no pressure to participate. Some place have bravo stars for answering questions or reaching a milestone.

how long do they last?

Probabally 1 hr all together, after waiting to weigh in, waiting for the meeting to start, having the meeting, then chatting it up after.

how does the weigh in work?

Private weigh in. Scales are calibrated correctly. Take your shoes off get on the scale, leader writes your weight on the membership book and on your file. Congratulations or advice given.

how does my goal weight get picked?

Weight Watchers uses a weight range according to BMI - Lets say you are 5'6" then I think top of the range is 150. If that is too low for you than you can get a doctors note - this is for lifetime membership.

once i've registered do i have to keep going to that same time (cause there's like six different meeting times at this one location)

No you just need to weigh in once a week regardless of what meeting you attend. Go to them all if you want. Find a leader you like. I once went to a meeting wher the leader was just too damn perky and could understand what was wrong with spraying butter flovour pam on toast! Hello chemicals meet toast yummy!

what do i get????

For the 1st ten weeks you get all the material. 2 plans flex and core recipies, point counter, activity counter.
Once you reach 10% of your weight lost you get a keychain, after you get goal you get a anothercharm,and once you reach lifetime you get another charm.
magnets and ribbons for milestones reached 5 lbs/10 lbs/ 25 etc

Can you take the baby?
I would certianly hope so. When I was going to meetings at the centre I looked at it as my one break from the kids a week. I now do a Weight Watchers at Work Program.

Good Luck. I love WW and the accountability that goes along with it, plus the feeling of belonging to a group.

Its all good, congratulations on your decision. Remember that I am rooting for you.

Bean

Anonymous said...

I won't bother re-answering as the questions were well answered already but I will say that the meeting in my town really pissed me off. The leader was sickly 'happy'...like you want to run up and punch up :) But..there are some amazing leaders at other meeting. I ended up just going for the weigh ins and then I'd leave..lots of moms brought their babies by the way. Baby will probably just get lots of attention..especially your gorgeous boy.

good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Everything they said. I'm sure you will do fine. Like others have said, find a leader you relaly like, it makes all the difference.
Let us know how it goes.